As 2010 is coming to close I’ve been reflecting back on a few things throughout the year. I hope to share some of my thoughts on the last year and what I look forward to in 2011. I’m trying to be diligent about assessing my life and looking at things I am doing well and things that I could do much better. Sometimes it is very hard to look at the things that you need to work on, but I want to be able to look them in the eye and tell myself I can do better.
So, all that to say here’s my first list from 2010:
I keep track of my books on GoodReads and so hopefully I listed every book I read this year.
Books I read this year:
- Front of the Class by Brad Cohen – good book about a man with tourette’s and how he overcomes his obstacles in life to become a fabulous teacher. I think there was even a Hallmark movie made about this man and his journey.
- Murder by Family by Kent Whitaker – We knew this family from when we lived in SugarLand. Kent (the author) had a terrible tragedy strike his family when an intruder shot and killed his son and wife and injured him and his other son. His oldest son (that was there that night and injured) was eventually convicted of planning the whole thing. This book is a story of forgiveness and grace like I have never read before.
- Honey for A Child’s Heart by Gladys Hunt
- The New Strong Willed Child’s Heart by James Dobson – I have read this a long time ago when I thought Cayden was strong willed – ha! This spring I skimmed it again, but now that Story has turned 3 and sometimes is so strong willed I could scream this just might show up again on my reading list in 2011!
- The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks
- Parenting the Hurt Child by Gregory Keck
- Out of the Spin Cycle by Jen Hatmaker – Oh wow loved this! Jen is such a joy and she’s a pastors wife right here in Austin. They are also waiting to bring their two kids home from Ethiopia! It is actually a devotional book but I read it as a book. Jen is a great writer and truly just “gets it”. I was so challenged and encouraged by this read.
- The Magician’s Nephew by CS Lewis – started this series with the kids and we are loving it!
- Some Girls by Jillian Lauren – Couldn’t put this down. It is a bit racy in some parts, but hey she’s in a harem you get what you get. Jillian is a fellow adoptive mom that I’ve met over the internet and I look forward to reading her next book.
- The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis – LOVED it! The kids just got the movie for Christmas so now we are watching it every day as well!
- Little Bee by Chris Cleave – Oh one of the best books i’ve ever read. I couldn’t put it down. Loved it. I wanted to talk about it every day with Aaron but i couldn’t b/c he hasn’t read it. I highly recommend.
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson – great! This book was so hard for me to get into, but once I did I was hooked. The last 1/3 of the book I couldn’t put it down. So good! Oh and I hear a movie will be released in 2011.
- A Praying Life by Paul Miller. – oh what a great book for me this year! My friends Maris and Kimberly and I met and went through this. I suggest you get a group of ladies together and go through this together. Your life will be changed.
I try to keep a running list of books on my blog, but sometimes I forget to update the list. Anyhow … here it is. BOOKS I’VE READ
What was your best book of 2010?
Here’s my little reader, Cayden, who is finishing up his first chapter book all by himself! He loved it!!!