Happy Hour #48 is with my friend Susie Davis. Susie Davis is an author, blogger, speaker and church founder. Susie has been married to Will Davis Jr., the founding and senior pastor of Austin Christian Fellowship, for twenty-nine years. They have three children: Will III (28) – a Baylor graduate now in ministry with his wife, Amy. Emily (25) – also a Baylor grad now in ministry with her husband, Kenton Boone. Sara (21) – a junior at the University of Texas.
Aside from family and ministry, Susie is helplessly addicted to horseback riding and McDonald’s coffee. In addition, one of her all time favorites is cooking and enjoying family dinners. She has written five books over the years.
On this show we discuss how we both ended up in radio accidentally and how much we both loved it, and also how hard it is to follow our passions individually when we also feel as though we are supposed to be giving so much to our family. Susie shares about what started her down the road of being a fearful person and how that ruled her world for so many years. We then discussed parenting older kids, and she literally gave me an individual counseling session about my boys and their girlfriends. It was rather funny, especially since I kept her on the line for about 10 minutes after our interview for more counseling!! 🙂
Links from the show:
- Susie’s books: Unafraid: Trusting God in an Unsafe World
- Loving Your Man without Losing Your Mind
- Parenting Your Teen and Loving It: Being the Mom Your Kid Needs
- Uncovered: Revealing the Secrets of a Sexy Marriage
- The Time of Your Life: Finding God’s Rest in Your Busy Schedule
- Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
- The blog “To the Job Degree” by my friend Angela Suh about taking the worst case scenerio all the way to the end and see how God is still in control
- Tweet: Confession is liberty. It’s agreeing with God about what’s going on. – Susie Davis #happyhourwithjamieivey
- Tweet: “You can’t be a fearful mother and have a good relationship with your kids.” Susie Davis #happyhourwithjamieivey
- Tweet: “My goal for my kids was for them to love God with their whole heart for their whole life.” @SusieDavis #happyhourwithjamieivey
Susie is so graciously giving away a copy of her latest book, UNAFRAID, to one of you lucky listeners. Head on over to Instagram to follow Susie and I and see how you can enter. Contest runs from Sunday night (7/26) until Wed (7/29) at midnight CST.
Connect with Susie:
Share the Love:
I would love to connect with you guys on facebook, twitter and/or instagram about this episode! Feel free to share with your friends about the show! As always I love feedback from you guys on iTunes if you can. When you leave a comment and/or rating, it helps others find the show, and isn’t that what we want …. more ladies at the Happy Hour with us!
Now, most of you probably know I love to support social businesses and one of my favorites is an Austin based ethical lifestyle and fashion brand, Raven and Lily. They are dedicated to empowering women through design, supporting over 1000 artisans across eight countries including Ethiopia, India, Pakistan, and even here in the US. These partnerships offer sustainable employment and a living wage. You can shop Raven and Lily’s beautiful clothing, jewelry, accessories and home goods at the flagship storefront off East Manor (if you live here in Austin like me!!) or online at RavenandLily.com Head online and shop soon because they are offering all listeners 15% off with the code: IVEY15HH