Happy Hour #19 is with my friend Gloria Furman. Gloria and her husband have four kid and live in Dubai, where they started a church. I met Gloria a few months ago at the Gospel Coalition Conference, although we had been internet friends for a while. She’s just as lovely in person as she is online and that is what makes me love her. Gloria has written two books, GLIMPSES OF GRACE: TREASURING THE GOSPEL IN YOUR HOME and TREASURING CHRIST WHEN YOUR HANDS ARE FULL: GOSPEL MEDITATIONS FOR BUSY MOMS.
Gloria has a real heart for women to know Jesus and be fully captivated by him. She says, “I want to be obsessed with what I’m going to be obsessed with three zillion years from now—seeing and savoring Jesus.”
– Gloria gives me a lesson in how to pronounce Australian cities, because at the time of recording this Aaron was in Australia for 12 days.
– Gloria teaches me “God’s mercies are new every morning, and it’s always morning somewhere” and I need this printed on something in my house!
– They just celebrated their six year “sand-aversary” as of living in Dubai
– We discuss things that no longer bother you after having kids and I can’t believe that Gloria has a dustbuster in her car – which I need to get on this stat. My car is so dirty, this could solve my problem.
– Gloria is working on a new book that will come out in the Spring called, THE PASTOR’S WIFE, that’s about learning along the way and encouraging wives of men in the ministry. Oh I can’t wait until this comes out!
– There are 60 different countries represented at her church and this has been challenging and wonderful for Gloria in her ministry.
– We talk about having an eternal perspective through all of life, and especially through our motherhood and looking for the joy in all of life’s circumstances.
– Gloria says that the book Live Like a Narnian helped her see the themes of God throughout the books
– I say that you should read a book before you see the movie, but Aaron doesn’t agree. Your thoughts on this?
What Gloria & I are reading now:
Gloria: Dispatches from the Front by Tim Keesee
Evangelism in the Early Church by Michael Green
The King and His Beauty by Thomas Schreiner – Gloria says that the epilogue in this book is perfect for a new believer because it gives the scope of scripture, and will help them see where they fall in the whole redemptive story.
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Jamie: The Silver Chair by C.S Lewis with my kids
How to keep up with Gloria:
Gloria is graciously giving away a copy of each of her books to someone. So, in a week I’ll pick two winners and you’ll get one of her books. How nice! I have read GLIMPSES OF GRACE and loved it, so I know that you guys will love these books as well!
To win, all you need to do is leave a comment.
Super easy! See you guys next week where my guest will be Kate Conner and as usual with all of my guests you will LOVE her!