If you have been a listener to The Happy Hour you know that sex trafficking is something that is on my mind these days. I wrote this a year and a half ago after I saw many different ways that God was bringing this tragedy to my attention. It was as if everywhere I turned people were talking about trafficking. It was on the news, in the books I was reading, and friends of mine were jumping to help in whatever way that they could.
In 2014 I read a book that I then declared as the book that everyone should read that year. (In 2015 my book for everyone to read was Just Mercy.) I read Girls Like Us and was changed that Summer. I would read a chapter and have to walk away because my brain had no space for what I was reading. There was no category for what I was learning about. I hosted a book club and invited all my friends to read this book. I was trying to do all I could to tell everyone I knew about this injustice that I was learning about.
In the Summer of 2014 as I tried so hard to figure out how I could help I decided that one thing I can do is bring people together and ask them for money. I called my friend Janet, and next thing I know we were planning an event. Neither one of us had ever done this before, but we didn’t care, we just jumped in. In November of 2014 we hosted KEEP AUSTIN FREE, a fundraiser benefitting Redeemed Ministries of Austin. (Janet and I talk about this on episode #62).
And now friends we are at it again. This February KEEP AUSTIN FREE will happen again and we are hoping for more awareness and more monies to be raised. I would love for you, my online friends, to think about how you can help this amazing ministry. Would you educate yourself with reading books, listening to podcasts, and supporting events like this one?
1. Pray – Would you pray for women in your city that are being trafficked. Yes, YOUR city. There are women there that are being trafficked. Would you pray for Redeemed Ministries as they raise money for a much needed assessment center here in Austin? Would you pray about how you might be able to be a voice for this injustice. Join the FB group FOR HER and begin to pray for all the women in this situation.
2. Get informed – Read books. I always suggest GIRLS LIKE US, but there are also films to watch, documentaries to view, and podcasts to listen to.
3. Attend KEEP AUSTIN FREE – Oh how we would LOVE to have you at our event. If you live in the Austin area, please think about joining us. I promise that it’s not only a great night for raising money and getting informed, but it’s also super fun! All Hat No Cadillac will be there again for our live music and that’s worth it enough to show up. It’s a fun night!
4. SPONSOR the night or BUY A TABLE for KEEP AUSTIN FREE – maybe you have a business that you think could become a sponsor for our evening, or you want to purchase a table and invite your friends to join you. If you have been blessed with the finances to help this event, or bring people we pray that you will think about doing that for this event. What a way to use what God has given you to bring awareness to this grand problem in our city.
5. Milk & Honey Tees – this is a fun way that you can help Redeemed Ministries during the month of January! Milk and Honey Tees is a family-owned small business creating “simply stylish” tees that are comfortable and simple in design without sacrificing high quality and style. They offer a full range of products for women and men, from tees and tanks to sweatshirts and hoodies. Their one-of-a-kind designs include everything from tees showcasing your state pride to tees with Scriptural messages of hope and love.
One of Milk and Honey’s goals is to use their business to bless others and care for people in need. Milk and Honey donates $2 of the purchase price from every item sold to organizations helping others. Each month they select a different organization, and for the month of January Milk and Honey is donating to Redeemed and Keep Austin Free. Check out Milk and Honey Tees at milkandhoneytees.etsy.com and on Instagram @milkandhoneytees.
(Me in my super cute tee with Texas on it!)
I have a few of their shirts and LOVE them. This is a great month to get one for yourself + one for a friend and you are helping out Redeemed and Keep Austin Free as well! It’s a win win for everyone involved!
I pray and hope that as you read this God has stirred something in you about this. To pray for trafficking victims in your city, to get involved in an organization that you know of around you, or if you live close to me I would love to have you at our event and helping with Redeemed in our city. Our goal is that every women would be free. That she would be valued and know her value.